|Office Phone||(410) 502-6071|
|SOM Address||Room 112, 1503 E. Jefferson St|
Jee Hoon Song 2009 – 2015
The principal focus of our laboratory is on improving our basic understanding and management of gastrointestinal malignant and premalignant diseases, with an emphasis on genomic approaches and biomarker discovery and validation.
My research focuses on the molecular genetics of gastrointestinal cancers and premalignant conditions, as well as on translational studies to facilitate early detection of these lesions. Specifically, this work centers around two premalignant states, Barrett’s esophagus and inflammatory bowel disease, along with the carcinomas deriving from them, esophageal and colorectal adenocarcinoma (and a closely related tumor, gastric carcinoma). We apply techniques in molecular genetics and genomics to discover relevant genes and pathways altered in these clinical conditions. We also study the biology of these genes and pathways. Some of the molecular alterations we investigate involve microRNA, mRNA, DNA methylation, point mutation, deletion, and relationships between these aberrations. We also develop and validate biomarkers based on molecular alterations to predict the courses or outcomes of diseases.
- Kawakami, K., Brabender, J., Lord, R.V., Groshen, S., Greenwald, B.D., Krasna, M.J., Yin, J., Fleisher, A.S., Abraham, J.M., Beer, D.G., Sidransky, D., Huss, H.T., DeMeester, T.R., Eads, C.A., Laird, P.W., Ilson, D.H., Kelsen, D.P., Harpole, D., Moore, M.-B., Danenberg, K.D., Danenberg, P.V., Meltzer S.J. Hypermethylated APC promoter DNA in serum and prognosis in esophageal adenocarcinoma patients. J. Natl. Cancer Inst. 2000; 92:1805-1811.
- Mori Y, Yin J, Rashid A, Leggett BA, Young J, Kuehl PM, Langenberg P, Meltzer SJ,* Stine OC. Instabilotyping: comprehensive identification of novel cancer-related genes by large-scale probing for mutations in coding region microsatellites. Cancer Res. 2001; 61:6046-6049. * = corresp. author
- Selaru F, Xu Y, Yin J, Zou T, Liu TC, Mori Y, Abraham JM, Sato F, Wang S, Twigg C, Olaru A, Shustova V, Leytin A, Shibata D, Harpaz N, Meltzer SJ. Artificial neural networks distinguish among subtypes of neoplastic colorectal lesions. Gastroenterol. 2002; 122:606-613.
- Schulmann K, Sterian A, Berki A, Yin J, Sato F, Xu Y, Olaru A, Wang S, Mori Y, Deacu E, Hamilton J, Kan T, Krasna MJ, Beer DG, Pepe MS, Abraham JM, Feng Z, Schmiegel W, Greenwald BD, Meltzer SJ. Inactivation of p16, RUNX3, and HPP1 occurs early in Barrett’s-associated neoplastic progression and predicts progression risk. Oncogene 2005 Jun 9; 24(25):4138-4148.
- Mori Y, Cai K, Cheng Y, Wang S, Paun B, Hamilton JP, Jin Z, Sato F, Berki AT, Kan T, Ito T, Mantzur C, Abraham JM, Meltzer SJ. A genome-wide search identifies epigenetic silencing of somatostatin, tachykinin-1, and five other genes in colon cancer. Gastroenterol. 2006 Sep; 131(3): 797-808.