The goal of the Hurley laboratory is to reduce the death and suffering caused by aggressive prostate cancer. To this end, the laboratory is focused on identifying novel genetic and molecular pathways driving lethal prostate cancer. We recently identified SPARCL1 as a gene down-regulated in high-grade/ metastatic prostate cancer that is a significant, independent prognostic marker of disease progression to metastases. The laboratory is currently examining the mechanistic roles of SPARCL1 and other mediators of aggressive prostate cancer. In addition, the laboratory is also developing new methods for the early identification of drug resistance in metastatic patients using plasma tumor DNA and next generation technologies.
- Ross AE, Emadi A, Marchionni L, Hurley PJ, Simons BW, Schaeffer EM, Vuica-Ross M. 2011. Dimeric naphthoquinones, a novel class of compounds with prostate cancer cytotoxicity. BJU Int. Aug; 108(3):447-54.
- Ross AE, Marchionni L, Phillips TM, Miller RM, Hurley PJ, Simons BW, Salmasi AH, Schaeffer AJ, Gearhart JP, Schaeffer EM. 2011. Molecular effects of genistein on male urethral development. J Urol. May; 185(5):1894-8.
- Huang Z, Hurley PJ, Simons BW, Marchionni L, Berman DM, Ross AE, Schaeffer EM. 2012. Sox9 is required for prostate development and prostate cancer initiation. Oncotarget. Jul; 3(6):651-63.
- Hurley PJ, Marchionni L, Simons BW, Ross AE, Peskoe S, Miller RM, Erho NG, Vergara IA, Ghadessi M, Huang Z, Gurel B, Park BH, Davicioni E, Jenkins RB, Platz EA, Berman DM, Schaeffer EM. 2012. SPARCL1/Hevin is down regulated in aggressive prostate cancers and is prognostic for poor clinical outcome. PNAS. Sep 109(37):14977-82.
- Simons B, Hurley PJ, Berman DM, Schaeffer, EM. 2012. Wnt Signaling Through Beta-catenin is Required for Prostate Lineage Specification. Dev Biol. Nov; 371(2): 246-55.
- Beaver JA, Jelovac D, Balukrishna S, Cochran R, Croessmann S, Zabransky DJ, Wong HY, Toro PV, Cidado J, Blair BG, Chu D, Burns T, Higgins M, Stearns V, Jacobs L, Habibi M, Lange J, Hurley PJ, Lauring J, VanDenBerg D, Kessler J, Jeter S, Samuels ML, Maar D, Cope L, Cimino-Mathews A, Argani P, Wolff AC, Park BH. 2014. Detection of Cancer Specific Mutations in Plasma of Early Stage Breast Cancer Patients. Clinical Cancer Research.