|Department Affiliations||Department of Dermatology, Division of Infectious Diseases and Department of Orthopaedic Surgery|
|SOM Address||Room 205 Cancer Research Building II|
The research of my laboratory focuses on the investigation of protective immune responses against Staphylococcus aureus infections. To study these infections, we have developed several different mouse models of S. aureus infection, including cutaneous abscesses, wound infections and surgical/orthopaedic implant infections. To monitor the bacterial burden and infection-induced inflammation in noninvasively and longitudinally over time, we have employed advanced techniques of in vivo bioluminescence and fluorescence imaging. Our laboratory discovered important roles for IL‑1β/inflammasome activation and IL-17 in promoting neutrophil recruitment and host defense against S. aureus skin infections. We similarly found a protective role IL‑1β in providing host defense against biofilm formation in a mouse model of an orthopaedic implant infection. We believe that this area of research is highly significant because these infections have been complicated by antibiotic-resistant strains such as virulent community-acquired MRSA isolates and this work will lead to novel therapeutic targets to help combat these infections.
- Miller, LS, O’Connell, RM, Gutierrez, MA, Pietras, EM, Shahangian, A, Gross, CE, Thirumala, A, Cheung, AL, Cheng, G, Modlin, RL. 2006. MyD88 mediates neutrophil recruitment initiated by IL‑1R but not TLR2 activation in immunity against Staphylococcus aureus. Immunity 24: 79-91
- Cho, JS, Pietras, EM, Garcia, NC, Ramos, RI, Farzam, DM, Monroe, HR, Magorien, JE, Blauvelt, A, Kolls, JK, Cheung, AL, Cheng, G, Modlin, RL, Miller, LS. 2010. IL-17 is essential for host defense against cutaneous Staphylococcus aureus infection in mice. Journal of Clinical Investigation 120(5): 1762-1773.
- Cho, JS, Zussman, J, Donegan, NP, Ramos, RI, Garcia, NC, Uslan, DZ, Iwakura, Y, Simon, SI, Cheung, AL, Modlin, RL, Kim, J, Miller, LS. 2011. Noninvasive in vivo imaging to evaluate immune responses and antimicrobial therapy against Staphylococcus aureus and USA300 MRSA skin infections. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 131(4):907-15.
- Bernthal, NM, Pribaz, JR, Stavrakis, AI, Billi, F, Cho, JS, Ramos, RI, Francis, KP, Iwakura, Y, Miller, LS. 2011. Protective role of IL-1β against post-arthroplasty Staphylococcus aureus infection. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 29:1621-1626.
- Niska, JA, Shahbazian, JH, Ramos, RI, Francis, KP, Miller, LS. 2013. Vancomycin-Rifampin Combination Therapy Has Enhanced Efficacy against an Experimental Staphylococcus aureus Prosthetic Joint Infection. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy 57(10) 5080-5086.
- Cho, JS, Guo, Y, Ramos, RI, Hebroni, F, Plaisier, SB, Xuan, C, Granick, JL, Matsushima, H, Takashima, A, Iwakura, Y, Cheung, AL, Cheng, G, Lee, DJ, Simon, SI, Miller, LS. 2012. Neutrophil-derived IL-1β is sufficient for abscess formation in immunity against Staphylococcus aureus in mice. PLOS Pathogens. 8(11): e1003047.