|Department Affiliations||Departments of Materials Science and Engineering, Chemical and Biological Engineering and Orthopedic Surgery Director, Translational Tissue Engineering Center (TTEC)|
|SOM Address||5035 Smith
Regenerating tissue, mostly cartilage using stem cells
The traditional approach of tissue engineering is to place cells on a biomaterial scaffold that is designed to provide the appropriate signals to promote tissue development and ultimately restore normal tissue function in vivo. The field of tissue engineering has been largely based on empirical studies. Understanding mechanisms of cellular interactions (both cell-cell and cell-material) and tissue development on scaffolds is critical to advancement of the field, particularly in applications using novel cell sources such as stem cells. Our general perspective is to develop new materials that are generally a composite of synthetic and naturally-derived materials. We are also investigating normal and diseased cell types to model tissue growth, evaluate materials and therapeutics. Translation of technologies to tissue-specific sites and diseased environments is key to better design, understanding, and ultimately efficacy of tissue repair strategies. We desire to translate clinically practical strategies, usually in the form of medical devices, to guide and enhance the body’s natural capacity for repair.
- Strehin IA, Elisseeff JH, “Characterizing ECM production by cells encapsulated in hydrogels,” Methods Mol Biol. 2009;522:349-62.
- Strehin I, Ambrose WM, Schein O, Salahuddin A, Elisseeff J., ”Synthesis and characterization of a chondroitin sulfate-polyethylene glycol corneal adhesive,” J Cataract Refract Surg. 2009 Mar;35(3):567-76.
- McIntosh Ambrose W, Salahuddin A, So S, Ng S, Ponce Marquez S, Takezawa T, Schein O, Elisseeff J., ”Collagen vitrigel membranes for the in vitro reconstruction of separate corneal epithelial, stromal, and endothelial cell layers,” J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2009 Mar 12. Epub ahead of print.
- Ponce Marquez S, Martinez VS, McIntosh Ambrose W, Wang J, Gantxegui NG, Schein O, Elisseeff J., “Decellularization of bovine corneas for tissue engineering applications,” Acta Biomater. 2009 Feb 11. Epub ahead of print.
- Preiss-Bloom O, Mizrahi J, Elisseeff J, Seliktar D., “Real-time monitoring of forces response measured in mechanically stimulated tissue-engineered cartilage,” Artif Organs. 2009 Apr;33(4):318-27.
- Hwang, NS, Elisseeff, J, “Application of stem cells for articular cartilage regeneration,” J Knee Surg, 22(1):60-71, 2009.