|Department Affiliations||Radiation Oncology and Molecular Radiation Sciences|
|SOM Address||Room 453 Cancer Research Building II|
My laboratory studies the molecular basis of cancer therapy. Our goal is to determine how p53 and other mediators of the DNA damage response are activated are activated by therapeutic agents, and to understand how these pathways ultimately control cell growth and death, and mediate tumor suppression.
- Bunz F, Hwang PM, Torrance C, Waldman T, Zhang Y, Dillehay L, Williams J, Lengauer C, Kinzler KW, and Vogelstein B. Disruption of p53 in Human Cancer Cells Causes Altered Responses to Therapeutic Agents. J. Clin Invest 1999; 104:263-269.
- Jallepalli PV, Lengauer C, Vogelstein B, Bunz F. The Chk2 tumor suppressor is not required for p53 responses in human cancer cells. J Biol Chem. 2003; 278:20475-9.
- Matoba S, Kang J-G, Patino WD, Wragg A, Boehm M, Gavrilova O, Hurley PJ, Bunz F, Hwang PM. p53 Regulates Mitochondrial Respiration. Science. 2006; 312:1650-1653.
- Rago C, Vogelstein B, Bunz F. Genetic knockouts and knockins in human somatic cells. Nat Protoc. 2007; 2:2734-2746.
- Hurley PJ and Bunz F. ATM and ATR: components of an integrated circuit. Cell Cycle. 2007; 6:1406-1413.
- Wilsker D, Petermann E, Helleday T, Bunz F. Essential function of Chk1 can be uncoupled from DNA damage checkpoint and replication control. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2008; 105:20752-20757.
- Chung JH, Bunz F. Cdk2 is required for p53-independent G2/M checkpoint control. PLoS Genetics. 2010; 6:e1000863.
- Sangster-Guity N, Conrad BH, Papadopoulos N,Bunz F. ATR mediates cisplatin resistance in a p53 genotype-specific manner. Oncogene. 2011; 30:2526-2533.
- Wilsker D, Chung JH, Pradilla I, Petermann E, Helleday T, Bunz F. Targeted mutations in the ATR pathway define agent-specific requirements for cancer cell growth and survival. Mol Cancer Ther 2012;11:98-107.
- Chung JH, Bunz F. A loss-of-function mutation in PTCH1 suggests a role for autocrine hedgehog signaling in colorectal tumorigenesis. OncoTarget 2013 4:2208-2211.
- Chung JH, Larsen AR, Chen E, Bunz F. A PTCH1 homolog transcriptionally activated by p53 suppresses Hedgehog signaling. J Biol Chem 2014 289:33020-33021.
- Larsen AR, Bai RY, Chung JH, Borodovsky A, Rudin CM, Riggins GJ, Bunz F. Repurposing the antihelmintic mebendazole as a hedgehog inhibitor. Mol Cancer Ther 2015 14:3-13.