Basic science investigations span an array of inquiries, such as understanding the basic mechanisms underlying cardiac dyssynchrony and resynchronization in the failing heart, and beneficial influences of nitric oxide/cGMP/protein kinase G and cGMP-targeted phosphdiesterase signaling cascades on cardiac maladaptive stress remodeling. Recently, the latter has particularly focused on the role of phosphodiesterase type 5 and its pharmacologic inhibitors (e.g. sildenafi, Viagra®), on myocyte signaling cascades modulated by protein kinase G, and on the nitric oxide synthase dysregulation coupled with oxidant stress.
The lab also conducts clinical research and is presently exploring new treatments for heart failure with a preserved ejection fraction, studying ventricular-arterial interaction and its role in adverse heart-vessel coupling in left heart failure and pulmonary hypertension, and testing new drug, device, and cell therapies for heart disease. A major theme has been with the use of advanced non-invasive and invasive catheterization-based methods to assess cardiac mechanics in patients.
In December 2016 awarded an NIH-NHLBI Outstanding Investigator Award.
- Takimoto, E, Li Manxiang, Ren S, Rodriguez ER, Bedja D, Gabrielson KL, Champion HC, Wang Y, Kass DA. Chronic phosphodiesterase 5a inhibition prevents and reverses cardiac hypertrophy independent of systolic load. Nature Medicine 2005; 11:214-22.
- Takimoto, E. Champion, HC, Belardi, D, Moslehi1, J, Mongillo, M, Mergia, E, Montrose, DC, Isoda, T, Aufiero, K, Zaccolo, M, Dostmann, WR, Smith, CJ, Kass, DA. Cyclic GMP catabolism by PDE5A regulates cardiac adrenergic stimulation by NOS3-dependent mechanism. Circulation Research 2005; 96:100-9.
- Takimoto E, Champion HC, Li M, Ren S, Rodriguez ER, Wang Y, Kass DA. Oxidant stress from nitric oxide synthase-3 uncoupling plays major role in pathologic remodeling to pressure-load cardiac hypertrophy. J Clin Invest: 2005; 115:1221-1231.
- Helm RH, Leclercq C, Faris OP, Ozturk C, McVeigh E, Lardo AC, Kass DA. Cardiac dyssynchrony analysis using circumferential versus longitudinal strain: implications for assessing cardiac resynchronization. Circulation. 2005; 111:2760-7.
- Borlaug BA, Melenovsky V, Marhin T, Fitzgerald P, Kass DA. Inhibition of Beta-Adrenergic Stimulated Systolic Heart Function by Sildenafil. Circulation 2005; 112:2642-9.
- Li, M, Chiou, KR, Bugayenko, A, Irani, K, Kass, DA. Reduced Wall Compliance Suppresses Akt-dependent Apoptosis Protection Stimulated by Pulse Perfusion. Circulation Research 2005; 97:587-95.
- Melanovsky V, Hay I, Fetics BJ, Borlaug BA, Kramer A, Pastore J. Berger RN, Kass DA. Functional impact of rate irregularity in patients with heart failure and atrial fibrillation receiving cardiac resynchronization therapy. Eur Heart Journal 2005; 26:705-11.
- Spragg DD, Akar FG, Tunin RS, Medows T, Tomaselli GF, Kass DA. Abnormal Conduction and Repolarization in Late-Activated Myocardium of Dyssynchronously Contracting Hearts. Cardiovasc. Res 2005; 67:77-86.
- Redfield, MM, Jacobsen, SJ, Borlaug, BA, Rodeheffer, RJ, Kass DA Age and Gender-Related Ventricular Vascular Stiffening A Community Based Study. Circulation 2005; 112:2254-62.
- Lardo AC, Abraham TP, Kass DA. Magnetic resonance imaging assessment of ventricular dyssynchrony: current and emerging concepts. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005 20;46:2223-8.